WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT EVERY DOOR DIRECT MAIL (EDDM)
Direct mail marketing has proven to be one of the most effective methods of advertising even in today’s digital world. It helps you to send the word about your business directly to your target audience and get a good percentage of response from them.
To make direct mail marketing easier, USPS introduced a program called Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) at lower postage rates to help more businesses to realize the importance and effectiveness of direct mail.
Through this program, a business can choose a neighborhood where their target audience resides and have USPS carrier distribute their printed advertising materials to every address within that neighborhood while delivering mail for that day.
With the Every Door Direct Mail program, you don’t need to know the names or addresses of the people you want to reach or spend money buying mail lists. All you need do is to decide the general area where you want your business message to reach and USPS’ Every Door Direct Mail program will handle the distribution for you.
Under EDDM program, you can choose specific Carrier Routes where you’d like your advertising messages to be delivered. Once you choose a Carrier Route, USPS will deliver your mail to all residences or all residences and businesses in that Carrier Route. USPS provides some demographic data such as the income levels and age group of consumers in each Carrier Route. This might help you to select the specific Carrier Routes based on your customer profiles.
Every Door Direct Mail is successfully used by all businesses to reach consumers in specific neighborhoods. Small, medium and large retailers and service professionals like coffee shops, auto dealers, restaurants, clothing stores, real estate firms, landscapers, attorneys, home improvement companies, health care professionals and internet-based businesses use EDDM to cost effectively deliver their messages to their audience.
Practically every type of business can use Every Door Direct Mail program to maximize their sales and increase their profits.
OPTIONS AVAILABLE IN EVERY DOOR DIRECT MAIL
There are two options available when you want to use EDDM. They include Retail EDDM and Business Mail Entry Unit (BMEU) EDDM.
In the Retail EDDM, you do not require a mailing permit to use it and is great for small and locally-based businesses that will send less than 5,000 mail pieces per day.
The Business Mail Entry Unit EEDM is for larger businesses that send large mailings per day. There is no maximum to the number of mail pieces you can send out per day. You will also get a deeper discount when you use BMEU EDDM, but you must have a mailing permit to take advantage of this EDDM option.
HOW TO GET STARTED WITH EDDM
Before you use Every Door Direct Mail, you need to get prepared. Here are the sequential steps to use EDDM program:
- First and foremost, create an account with USPS. You can visit USPS.com to create an account.
- Next, define the delivery area you intend to reach. You can research and select the carrier routes for mailing at USPS.com
- Learn EDDM size & measurement requirements to make sure your mail pieces qualify for lower EDDM postage rates.
- Design & print your post card, brochure, flyer or menu pieces that meets EDDM size & measurement requirements.
- Verify and confirm the delivery cost for your mail pieces from EDDM website.
- Then assemble, bundle, take care of EDDM requirements and deliver to USPS for distribution. You may have to bundle your mail in 100’s or 200’s per EDDM requirements along with the necessary paperwork completed for each bundle per EDDM requirements.
- Take the bundles to your primary post office to process your order and then you may have to deliver your bundles to different post offices depending on the carrier routes selected for delivery.
As a business owner with limited time, it will save you time and money to use the services of direct mail marketing agencies like Click & Clear, Inc. to help you through this process while you just relax and wait for the results to roll in. By utilizing direct mail companies like Click & Clear, Inc., you can take advantage of their BMEU permits for lower postage rates as well.
Finally, Every Door Direct Mail is a laudable program and you should exploit the opportunity as a business owner to boost your sales and outperform your competitors.